Kat's journey began, as so many birth workers’ do, as a birthing mother seeking better options. With her first birth, she struggled to give birth the way she desired due to the lack of quality childbirth education and the support she needed. With her second birth, she discovered her power through good education and an empowering birth experience. In 2000, she trained as a birth doula and a childbirth educator through BirthWorks. She went on to take a second birth doula training through DONA International in 2007 with Penny Simkin and is currently a DONA certified birth doula.
Kat’s approach to doula work is holistic and integrative. Her goal is to bring her knowledge of many arenas of health and healing into the childbearing year. Kat has studied nutrition, movement, the mind-body connection and many different healing modalities. Kat has taken additional training in aromatherapy, use of the Rebozo, fetal positioning, grief and bereavement and pre- and perinatal psychology. Kat is a Reiki Master Teacher and a childbirth educator. Her goal is to help the expectant family find their unique path to parenthood.
Birth doula services include:
- 1-2 prenatal visits
- Holistic approach to pregnancy: discussion of nutrition, movement, rest and awareness
- Referrals: access to quality food, movement resources and holistic care providers
- In-depth discussion of the family’s wishes and desires for birth
- Telephone/text/email access as desired
- Continuous support during labor, birth and 1-2 hours postpartum
- Postpartum visit to discuss the birth and transition to parenthood
- A typed birth timeline and photographs, if desired
- Placenta Encapsulation
- Blessingway Facilitation
- Reiki Treatments
- Postpartum Doula Care